Everyone’s looking for simple and convenient ways to shop and pay for their purchases. Afterpay is an excellent option, as its buy-now-pay-later service provides a novel alternative to credit cards, but you might wonder if Amazon takes Afterpay as well.
- Amazon does not take Afterpay but it offers monthly payment plans that make shopping conveniently.
- You can opt for monthly payments by Choosing items that offer monthly payments > Adding it to the cart > Choosing payment method > Making first payment at the time of shipping > Making rest of 4 payments on time.
- Amazon also offers promotional financing on qualified purchases.
…and Much More!
Does Amazon Take Afterpay?
As of 2021, Amazon will no longer accept Afterpay.
Instead, Amazon offers special financing for cardholders and buyers who purchase Kindle e-readers, Fire tablets, and Alexa products instead of Afterpay or layaway.
Afterpay is also available at PetSmart, Bed Bath & Beyond, Forever 21, Old Navy, and other retailers for Amazon customers. There is a long list of stores that now take Afterpay.
Reasons Why Amazon Does Not Accept Afterpay
Amazon doesn’t accept Afterpay because it isn’t profitable for the big e-commerce giant.
While many apparel and home companies use Afterpay to attract customers, Amazon does not need it.
- Amazon has millions of devoted customers who have demonstrated that they will shop on the site even if Afterpay is unavailable.
That isn’t to imply that Amazon will never provide Afterpay. Nobody knows how popular Afterpay will become and whether consumer demand will force Amazon to incorporate more flexible payment choices.
You might be interested in reading: Online Stores With Afterpay.
What Is Afterpay Single-Use Payment Card On Amazon
As an Afterpay user, you can apply for its one-time payment credit card. It works just like any other credit/debit card that you can use to pay for Amazon purchases. Here’s how you can use an Afterpay one-time card on Amazon.
- Open the Afterpay account and move to the Amazon page. Here, tap on Shop and add the items you need to the cart.
- Then, enter the required details, such as the shipping address.
- Tap on Add a Payment Method and select Add a Credit Card or Debit Card.
- Scroll to the bottom of the page for the Buy Now Pay Later activation button. Tap to activate.
- Then select Buy Now, and Afterpay will automatically update your credit card data.
This information only works if you open an Amazon store via Afterpay. Moreover, you must not select Afterpay as a default payment method on Amazon, as it would charge all future purchases to the same card.
Gift Card Payment Option on Amazon
You can use gift cards to pay on Amazon. An indirect method to use Afterpay for the payment is to utilize this tool to purchase the gift card/cards.
- Open Afterpay official website and move to the Amazon page. Here, select an Amazon gift card, available in denominations between $15 to $500. You can buy one and get multiple, as per your need.
- Then, open the Amazon website, choose your desired items, and move to the checkout page.
- Enter the gift card code under the relevant payment method, along with the gift card number. Confirm the payment.
Alternatives to Afterpay – Amazon Buy Now Pay Later Feature
Buy now, pay later, as the name implies, allows you to secure purchases while completing the billing in instalments. Many companies smaller than Amazon are now offering such features to their shoppers, and many things, such as shoes, furniture, jewellery, laptops, computers, etc., are now available via BNPL schemes.
- However, Amazon does not allow customers to use buy now pay later on its site for select Amazon devices. Buyers can choose Afterpay or Klarna when checking out instead.
However, Amazon does offer a monthly payment plan for select Amazon purchases. This appealing payment option is reserved for Amazon-branded products like Kindle e-readers, Fire tablets, and Echo smart home devices.
Here’s how Amazon monthly payments work:
- Choose the items and check if monthly payments are applicable.
- Add items to the cart and check out.
- Choose the monthly payment option.
- Make the first payment when the item is shipped to you.
- Continue making the rest of the four payments on time every month.
Other Payment Options at Amazon.com
Amazon also offers promotional financing on qualified purchases made with an Amazon credit card, in addition to monthly payment plans on selected items.
You will have more payment options once authorized for the Amazon store card. Additionally, this payment tool comes with special offers and discounts that you would love to avail, especially if you are a frequent buyer.
Does Amazon Take Klarna
Klarna does not work on Amazon directly, but users have discovered a workaround that works just as smoothly.
You can apply for a Klarna credit card and add it as a payment method on Amazon checkout instead. The rest of the process is the same as using Klarna directly. You can split Amazon payments and pay in instalments when shopping online.
Does Amazon Take Sezzle
Amazon does not accept Sezzle, but there are similar options that you can try instead. Moreover, you will find other popular stores that accept Sezzle to fulfil your shopping needs.
Sezzle virtual credit card can be used on Amazon if you are willing to pay the extra fees. Please read the updated terms and conditions of the card before purchasing it.
Does Amazon Take Affirm
You can use Affirm to buy only specific products on Amazon. The option will be available at the checkout when you log in to your Amazon account, add desired products to the cart, and choose to check out. Remember that you can use Affirm for over $50 purchases only.
You only need to add Affirm as a payment method once to your Amazon account. It will store the contact information and never ask you to fill out lengthy forms again, making the payment process quick and hassle-free.
You might be interested in reading: Stores That Accept Affirm.
Stores That Take Afterpay
Amazon is an exception because it does not accept Afterpay. After all, more than 7,000 merchants are open to this payment mode. Some of the prominent names include:
- Credit Beauty
- Forever 21.
- MAC cosmetics
- Old Navy, Dillard’s.
- UGG, Fabletics.
- Urban Outfitters.
Even though Amazon has thousands of reasonably priced home items, buyers who prefer to buy now and pay later may choose Bed Bath & Beyond or The Container Store, as both accept Afterpay in addition to the names mentioned above.
Afterpay Limit on Amazon and Other Retailers
Afterpay has spending limits for its users. However, it may vary depending on their payment history, how punctual they have been with previous payments, and the specific merchant they are shopping at.
Typically, Afterpay allows $1500 per transaction. Additionally, users can hold a maximum of $2000 as an outstanding balance.
Pros and Cons of Afterpay
If you want to purchase something but need more money, Afterpay is the answer! It gives you the buying power immediately and the flexibility to pay over time. However, there is a lot to consider on the downside, too!
- It is an excellent alternative to credit card use. You can make payments without spending more on credit cards or paying interest.
- Many stores that accept Afterpay have it integrated as a payment option at the checkout. This makes the process fast and easy.
- Afterpay does not carry out a credit check. Your information is only scrutinized for security purposes.
- Moreover, the app provides approval answers within minutes.
- Afterpay does promise to increase your spending limit after some time.
- Afterpay does not charge an interest fee if you make the payments on time.
- You can choose from different payment plans that Afterpay provides. This is helpful as diverse applicants have different needs. Some prefer making payments every week, while others select biweekly payments.
- It has spending limits. You may not be granted permission if you are a new account holder requesting a big spending budget.
- There is no guarantee on when/if your spending limit will increase. Consistent payments do not mean Afterpay will increase your limit after a few months.
- Afterpay does not charge a penalty fee for one late payment, but if you are unable to clear dues on time over and over again, it will start to add $10 to each amount that is due.
- Afterpay does not allow users to pick a payment date. You can pay weekly or bi-weekly, but the amount will be deducted automatically from the linked credit/debit card on any date.
- The dues are deducted from the account even if you had planned to save the funds to cater to a significant expense. If sufficient funds exist, the transaction will be allowed, and Afterpay will apply a late fee to your account.
- Many stores still do not accept Afterpay services. You may have to use indirect methods to pay with Afterpay on stores like Amazon, which can be time-consuming.
- Afterpay and other similar financing options encourage users to spend money they don’t have. If you are not careful enough, you may end up incurring a massive amount of debt.
The Bottom Line
Amazon does not offer Afterpay, but you can use monthly payment plans as per your need.
For Amazon cardholders, Amazon offers equal monthly payments and customized financing, as well as monthly plans.
Frequently Asked Questions
When will Amazon be back on Afterpay?
Afterpay was never entertained as a direct payment method on Amazon. You can only use it via a one-time card or by purchasing a gift card with Afterpay and then using it for purchases on Amazon. There has been no official news about Amazon updating its policy soon.
Is there a buy-now, pay-later option available on Amazon?
If you spend more than $50 on Amazon, you can now pay later. Customers can now use Affirm financing to pay for their purchases later. Affirm offers a no-cost “soft credit check” that does not affect your credit score.
Why is my Amazon Afterpay not working?
The site may be down, so it is ideal to wait a few seconds and try again.
What is the best way for me to track my Amazon instalment payments?
Go to the Amazon Payments website, sign in to your account, and then select Merchant Settings to see your recurring payments and subscriptions. Recurring payments and subscription agreements with retailers are listed on the Manage Merchant Settings page.
What method does Amazon employ for paying later?
Customers can now use Affirm financing to pay for their purchases later. Affirm performs a complimentary “soft credit check” that does not affect your credit score. The company does not charge late payments, but they will lower your credit score if you are late.
Is it true that Amazon payments have an impact on your credit score?
When you choose monthly instalments as your payment method, Amazon does not conduct a credit check. Debit cards are not allowed for this program.
You must have a valid credit card linked to your Amazon account. You must have a strong track record with the shop regarding payments.
Why do I have to pay $14.99 each month to Amazon?
By purchasing the “Fresh Add-on” as part of their Prime Membership, customers can shop for groceries, everyday basics, and other favorites from local businesses and restaurants for $14.99 monthly.
Jamie Johnson is very enthusiastic Kansas City – based freelance writer, and her core expertise are finance and insurance. She has been endorsed on several personal finance, insurance & business website to share her thoughts. Her publications can be found on famous sites like Bankrate, The Balance, Business Insider, Chamber of Commerce and many others.
From many years, she served more than 10,000 hours of research and writing to more than 2000 articles related to personal finance, credit building, mortgages, and personal and student loans.