We are always on the go and there’s no guarantee that we would be carrying cash if the car runs out of fuel. Won’t gas stations that cash checks make life easier?
- Chevron, Citgo, Shell, Fred Meyer, Ralphs, and others are some of the gas stations that cash checks.
- You would need a proper ID in the form of a driver’s license, US passport, or permanent residence photo card, etc. to cash your check at the station.
- Some gas stations like BP, Circle K, Corner Store, Kum and Go, don’t cash checks but may accept other forms of contactless payments.
…and Much More!
22 Gas Stations That Cash Checks
Here is a comprehensive list of gas stations that cash checks to make your life easier.
|Gas Station||Fee For Cashing Checks||Personal Checks|
|Kroger’s||$3 to $5.5||No|
|Walmart||$4 to $8||No|
|Albertson’s||Depends on location||No|
|Chevron||Depends on location||N/A|
|Citgo||Depends on location||Yes|
|Dillons||$3 or more||No|
|Food City Market||$3||No|
|Hy-Vee||$2 to $6||No|
|Love’s Travel Stops||N/A||No|
|Meijer||Depends on location||No|
|Flying J Travel Centers||Depends on location||No|
|Ralphs||Depends on location||No|
|Sunoco||Depends on location||No|
|Tops Grocery Store||Depends on location||No|
|TravelCenters of America||Depends on location||No|
|Phillips 66 and 76||N/A||No|
7-Eleven is a chain of stores located in 32 states in America. Most of the locations are a combination of an in-store shop and a gas station.
- It uses Transact program that is capable of reloading your debit card through a payroll check.
- Transact works with any sort of check.
- The cash-checking services are available 24/7.
Kroger is one of the largest supermarket chains in the US and has up to 1300 locations in 31 states, with most locations in Ohio.
- It deals with checks including Stimulus checks, Government, Tax Refunds, Insurance, Business checks and Payroll checks.
- Kroger won’t cash the whole check but can accommodate you up to $2000 to $5000 with a fee ranging from $3 to $5.50.
- You would need a primary ID to cash your check here.
Attention! Refer to the last section in the blog to find out more about primary and secondary forms of ID.
Walmart being one of the largest retailers provides several money service options: cash check is one of them.
- The fee charged to you by the Walmart depends on the number of checks. It is $4 for a $1000 check and $8 for any larger amount.
- Walmart does not cash personal checks.
- Other types of checks that it accepts includes Cashier’s, Government, Insurance Settlements, Income Tax, Stimulus Checks.
Shell is found in 150 different locations.
- About 2500 stations are found just in the US.
- Shell does cash checks at some locations.
- You would need to inquire beforehand as to which location cash checks.
Albertson’s has over 2200 grocery stores and gas stations in 35 different states.
- They are mostly open 24/7 even on holidays.
- Albertson’s can cash check up to $1000, its fee depends on the location.
- It does not cash the whole check but only $1000.
It is one of the biggest companies in the world and has Texaco and Caltex as its subdivisions.
- Chevron currently owns 300 outlets and over 400 franchised stores.
- Most Chevrons’ do cash checks.
- However, it entirely depends on the owner of that location.
Citgo operates over 5,000 gas stations in 30 states.
- It delivers 4% of fuel in the US. The stations also serve as gas stations and convenience stores.
- A check can be cashed in some locations.
- Make sure you’re aware as to which Citgo accepts it before you reach the gas station.
Dillons is also a combination of an in-store and a gas station. It is connected to the Kroger family of stores. All Dillon locations cash checks but you’ll have to go to the store to cash it.
- Dillon does not accept personal checks but a few other forms like Business, government, Insurance settlement, Payroll, and Income tax refund are collected.
- The fee starts from $3 and goes up at certain locations.
- Their cash-check service limit is up to $5000.
Food City Supermarket
This store and gas station have over 123 locations in Georgia, Kentucky, Virginia, and Tennessee. They’re not open 24 hours but have flexible hours.
- Food City Supermarket cashes a bunch of different types of checks.
- The include Payrolls, Rebate, Stimulus, and Government checks.
- Their cash limit is up to $1000 with a $3 fee.
Fred Meyer is another store related to Kroger Family stores.
- It has 130 locations mainly in Washington.
- Other places include Oregon, Idaho, Alaska, and California.
- Fred Meyer charges a fee of $3 but cashes large checks of $5000.
GetGo is a convenience in-store and gas station. Currently, it has up to 200 fuel stations located in Indiana, Maryland, Pennsylvania, Ohio, and West Virginia.
- GetGo cashes personal checks which are not offered by most gas stations but it charges $30.
- They view your cashing history and their records before cashing the check.
- Other forms of accepted checks include Government, Payroll, and Stimulus checks.
Illinois, Iowa, Kansas, Missouri, Minnesota, Nebraska, South Dakota, and Wisconsin are among the eight Midwest states where Hy-Vee operates over 265 supermarkets.
- There is no standard policy for a transaction and varies from location to location.
- You can use a Hy-Vee locator to find the Hy-Vee that cash checks.
- The cash limit that Hy-Vee offers is $2000 to $5000. The fee ranges from $2 to $6 per transaction.
King Soopers is another convenient combination of a store and a gas station that comes under the Kroger Family.
- Most of its fuel stations are located in Colorado and a few stores are in Wyoming.
- They have the same check policy as that of the other Kroger family sub-divisions.
- It too does not accept personal checks.
Love’s Travel Stops
Love’s Travel Stops or Country Stores are convenient 2 in one shops with stores and gas stations.
- There are 510+ locations in around 41 states.
- The types of checks accepted are very limited trucker payroll checks, like TCheks and COMcheks.
- It does not cash personal checks.
Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, Michigan, Ohio, and Wisconsin are among the six states where Meijer superstores may be found.
- Meijer pumps are open 24 hours a day and 7 days a week.
- Most of Meijer’s locations have an attached fuel to them but you’ll have to go inside the store to cash the check.
- Meijer offers money orders up to $500 each.
Pilot/ Flying J Travel Centers
Flying J travels Centers are not only famous for their gas stations or food but also as a travel shop.
- It is present in 750 locations distributed in 32 states.
- It provides a 24 hour and 7 days a week cash check service and has a check limit of $1000.
- If you buy at least 25 gallons of gas, the fee is eliminated for the first $200.
Ralphs is a member of the Kroger family and has over 460 outlets just in California.
- Ralph became very popular in the covid’19 era.
- It does not accept personal checks.
- The types of checks that you can cash here include Business, Child support, Government checks, Income Tax Refunds, and Stimulus checks.
It is one of the largest chains in the United States and has up to 1300 locations in 18 states.
- Safeway offers a check limit of $1500 and charges a fee of $2.25 for every $200 transaction.
- It does not accept personal checks.
- Forms of checks that are accepted include Government checks, Income Tax, Payrolls, Social Security Benefits, Stimulus, and Unemployment benefits.
Sunoco operates more than 5,000 gas stations in 30+ states.
- Checking is available at Sunoco although it will differ depending on where you are.
- The establishments are privately owned and each owner has its rules of financing.
- Sunoco does not accept personal checks at any gas station.
Tops Grocery Store
Tops grocery store operates about 170 stores mainly in New York, Pennsylvania, and Vermont.
- This store is usually open from 6 pm to 12 am.
- It offers to check services 24 hours if you have a valid photo ID.
- This store helps you cash a check without any bank account or bank statement.
TravelCenters of America
TravelCenters of America has more than 260 locations in around 40 states.
- The fee charged by TravelCenters of America varies from location to location.
- If you get your fuel-filled (60 gallons of gas) and avail of their repair services or become ultra-premium card member, you’ll get your check cashed for free.
- TravelCenters of America offers a cash limit of $300 for a fixed fee.
Phillips 66 and 76
It wouldn’t be wrong to add Phillips 66 and 76 to this list as some of their locations do cash checks.
- Only specific outlets cash checks.
- These gas stations are located mostly in areas like Austria, Denmark, Germany, Sweden, and the United Kingdom.
- It is best to confirm via official website.
What Is the Best Way to Cash a Check at a Gas Station?
Once you have found the gas stations that takes checks, making a payment is as easy as it can get.
- There are just a few documents that you would require in making a check payment.
Each store has its requirements but a few basic ones that you might require for all the gas stations are primary and secondary ID.
Primary ID typically includes driver’s license, passport, military ID, etc. On the other hand, secondary identifications would require you to share picture for an official document like driver’s license or high school application.
You would be provided with your money as soon as you show the worker any of the above IDs.
Gas Stations That Don’t Cash Checks
Only a few gas stations accept checks, the rest use other alternative payment methods either in-store or at the pump. Some gas stations that don’t cash checks are listed:
- Circle K
- Corner Store
- Costco Gas Stations
- Kum & Go
- Kwik Trip
- Murphy USA/ Express
- Sam’s Club Gas
- Valero and others.
The Bottom Line
You don’t always need to rely on banks for cashing your checks. There are gas stations and other grocery stores allow you to cash a check with a minimum fee.
However, you need to be sure that the service is available in a specific gas station beforehand. Hopefully, the article will help you identify the ones near to you!
Frequently Asked Questions About Gas Stations That Cash Checks
Do gas stations still cash personal checks?
Checks can usually be cashed at gas stations that are attached to a store. You will have to go to the store to cash your check. Chevron, CITGO, and Dillon are a few gas stations that take personal checks along with government and tax checks.
Which gas stations take EBT cards?
A Few gas stations and in-store accept EBT cards are the following:
- Cumberland Farms
Do gas stations accept checks 24 hours a day, 7 days a week?
Yes, some gas stations do cash checks for 24 hours but those which are in partnership with a grocery store don’t provide their customers with this offer 24/7. They usually operate between 8 am to 5 pm or from 6 pm to midnight.