Recovering MetaMask Wallet is essential as you don’t want to slip off all your details to a third-party which can cause serious problems. In this guide, we will walk you through how to recover MetaMask Wallet in a few easy steps.
- You can recover the forgotten password of MetaMask wallet by MetaMask Fox Icon > Restore Account> Enter seed phrase > Enter new password > Restore.
- To restore lost hardware devices, you need to install chrome browser > Import Wallet > Enter Seed phrase > Restore.
- To set up MetaMask Wallet, you need to install MetaMask extension > Create a Wallet > Create a username and password > Seed recovery phrase > Confirm.
…and Much More!
Why You Need to Know How to Recover MetaMask Wallet?
MetaMask is one of the many credible wallet services available, with over 21 million users worldwide. You can either download the mobile application on your device or use it as a browser extension on the desktop.
- MetaMask cryptocurrency wallets assist you in interacting with the Ethereum blockchain in the most effective way.
It is essential that you know several reasons that can lead you to recover your MetaMask Wallet. Some of these include:
- Loss of hardware device on which you installed the MetaMask Wallet initially.
- Forgetting password on the MetaMask Wallet.
- Setting up MetaMask wallet on another hardware device.
Recovering MetaMask Wallet With Forgotten Password
If by any chance, you forgot your MetaMask Wallet, there is no need to hesitate at all, and here is what you need to do to recover the forgotten MetaMask Wallet:
- Click on the MetaMask Fox icon right on the corner of your Chrome browser.
- Once done, you need to click Restore Account. It is at the bottom of the login screen of your MetaMask.
- On doing this, it displays the MetaMask wallet on the screen.
- Here, you need to choose the option of Restore Account again.
- Once you do this, it will direct you towards entering the seed phrase.
- Here, enter your MetaMask wallet seed phrase to proceed. This allows you to set up a new password there.
- Next, enter the seed phrase. Please note that this seed phrase will be the same as initial one when you set up the MetaMask extension.
- Here, please enter the new password you created.
- Re-enter the password as a step of further confirmation.
- This enables the Restore option, which you have to click on.
- On clicking the restore button, it restores the ether (ETH) account.
- By doing this, you can also restore all your previous additional accounts.
- To view your aPledge token balance, you need to click on the option of Add Token.
- Once done, enter all the public addresses of your aPledge tokens in the Account which displays the balance.
Restore Lost Hardware Device
Luckily, you can also restore the lost hardware device by following a few basic steps. Here is what you need to do to recover the lost hardware device:
- On your new device, install the Chrome Browser and follow all the prompts on https://metamask.io.
- This leads you to add the MetaMask as an extension on the Chrome Browser.
- Once done, click on the Import Wallet button there.
- Next, enter the seed phrase of 12 words, in addition to the new password.
- If you put in all the information correctly, it displays the option of Restore on your screen.
- Once enabled, please click on it to restore your Account.
- And that is it!
How To Use Secret Recovery Phase to Restore MetaMask Wallet – Step by Step Guide
Secret Recovery Phrase is a 12-word phrase generated on setting up your MetaMask wallet. It is entirely private, and anyone who has access to it other than you can end up in a significant problem.
Use Secret Recovery Phrase for restoring your wallet in either of the two ways:
On a new MetaMask install, you need to restore your Secret Recovery Phrase by:
- Click on Import Wallet while a new installing of the MetaMask.
- Here, enter your Secret Recovery Phrase.
Restore from the Lock screen on existing MetaMask install
- Next, choose the option of Import using account Secret Recovery Phrase.
- Here, put in your 12-word Secret Recovery Phrase. In addition to this, please enter a new password too.
- Next, click on OK.
In the case of several accounts, click on the option Create Account located in the drop-down menu tab.
- Open MetaMask from here to restore the accounts.
- Next, tap on the Circle Icon of your official Account.
- Choose the option of Create Account.
And that is it!
Finding Secret Recovery Phrase on MetaMask
If you do not know how to find the Secret Recovery Phrase on MetaMask, we got your back! Here is how you can find it on your MetaMask:
- First, come first, you need to log in to the MetaMask account on chrome browser.
- Click on Settings after tapping on the profile icon on the navigation bar.
- It directs you to the setting page, from where you have to click on Security & Privacy right under the Contacts option.
- From here, you can view your privacy settings along with the secret recovery phrase.
- On following the above step, it directs you to several headers.
- Here is when you click on the option Reveal Secret Recovery Phrase.
- Next, enter your MetaMask password to proceed further. Click on the option of Next.
- Doing this displays you your Secret Recovery Phrase. From here, you can either copy the phrase or even download it in the form of a CSV file.
- Click on whatever option you wish to opt for. And that is it!
The Bottom Line
MetaMask is a crypto wallet and gateway to blockchain apps. Therefore, it is essential that you keep all your information secure, particularly the seed recovery phrase which no one should know of but you.
- Under all the above-mentioned circumstances, you must know how to restore your MetaMask wallet to avoid any inconvenience.
All the passwords and keys that MetaMask generates for you are for the sole purpose of you having access to your accounts and data. So, choose wisely what you need to keep private and share. We hope this guide helped guide you to all the potential ways of recovering the MetaMask wallet if lost.
Frequently Asked Questions
How to backup MetaMask wallet?
Go to the Protect your wallet section on the app and click on back up your wallet to do so.
How to find the private key on MetaMask?
Identicon > Choose account to export > Click on three dots form menu > Account details > Export private key > Confirm > OK.
How to deposit ETH to MetaMask?
Open MetaMask > Send Icon > Enter ETH amount > Continue > To field > Paste the Ethereum wallet address.
Jamie Johnson is very enthusiastic Kansas City – based freelance writer, and her core expertise are finance and insurance. She has been endorsed on several personal finance, insurance & business website to share her thoughts. Her publications can be found on famous sites like Bankrate, The Balance, Business Insider, Chamber of Commerce and many others.
From many years, she served more than 10,000 hours of research and writing to more than 2000 articles related to personal finance, credit building, mortgages, and personal and student loans.