you can get just what you need to furnish your house. However, that would leave you wondering what to do with the one? Although there are furniture stores that take away old furniture, these often have purchase requirements and restrictions for haul away services. Let’s take a look at the options you have one by one.
- Some furniture stores that take away old furniture are IKEA, Sears, Bob’s Discount Furniture and Slumberland Furniture.
- Other prominent furniture stores like Ashley’s Furniture, Bassett Furniture and Wayfair do not offer haul away services for old furniture items.
- You can consider alternatives such as contacting third-party services for furniture removal, donating to an organization or paying waste management unit to take away old items.
…and Much More!
Furniture Stores That Take Away Old Furniture – In a Nutshell
You may be able to find a few good options of stores that take away old furniture but these always have some restrictions attached to their services. The most typical of these is that the store would only remove what you buy: a chair for a chair, a bed set for a bed set, etc.
Moreover, some store may limit their haul away services to items like mattresses or box springs only. You can be sure of what to expect only after you go through individual store policies.
List of Furniture Stores That Remove Old Furniture
Luckily, there are some furniture stores that offer haul away services for old furniture free of cost. Some of these operate at regional level while others have outlets all around the US. You may be able to find more name online but we have only included the ones with confirmed haul away services.
Although the store does not offer any furniture haul away services directly, IKEA does partner with multiple third-party delivery companies for removal of bulky items. The fees consequently vary depending on location and the delivery service.
- IKEA furniture removal service is not available in all states in the US.
- You can avail it in New York, Washington, California, Arizona, Florida, Minnesota, Ohio, Colorado, Connecticut, New Jersey, North Carolina, Kansas, Indiana, Massachusetts, Texas, Utah, Virginia, Wisconsin and Michigan.
- The service covers haul away for most furniture items.
- The take away is only possible if you purchase something similar from IKEA.
- IKEA uses recycling method for the disposal of old furniture.
Bob’s Discount Furniture
You can avail haul away services for free at Bob’s Discount Furniture. However, you must book Bobtastic White Glove Delivery to get free pick for old furniture. Needless to say, this is only possible if you buy something at the store.
- Bob’s Discount Furniture haul away services are not available in all states in the US. You can avail it in Arizona, Virginia, Wisconsin, Michigan, Maine, Maryland, California, Delaware, Indiana, Illinois, New Jersey, New York, Rhode Island, Hampshire, Missouri, Nevada, and Pennsylvania.
- The only items eligible for removal are mattresses and mattress foundations.
- You don’t need to choose BOBtastic White Delivery in California as it is automatically available with all mattress purchases under California Used Mattress Recovery and Recycling Act.
- You can not return or move items that are not in sanitary conditions.
- Bob’s Discount Furniture uses incinerator to get rid of old furniture.
Slumberland Furniture generally charges $10 per item for removal. However, the exact charges may vary depending on the size of the product. For example, there are additional charges for haul away of king-size beds.
- Their services are available in selective states only.
- These include Wyoming, Wisconsin, South Dakota, Nebraska, Montana, North Dakota, Missouri, Minnesota, Illinois, Kansas, Iowa.
- Items eligible for haul away are mattresses and box springs.
- You can only avail the service with purchase of new mattress or box spring.
- Slumberland Furniture has dumpsters to dispose off old furniture.
Sears also offers haul away services. The fees for this, however, varies from one location to another so it is better to check with the particular Sears outlet to confirm.
- The pick up service for old furniture is available in all 50 states. However, you must have the items ready for take away when the vehicle arrives.
- All types of furniture items and some electronic appliances are eligible for haul away.
- You can not extend it for the removal of commercial-grade and installed appliances.
- Sears only provide one-to-one removal of furniture. For example, you can get an old sofa removed if you purchased a new one from the store.
- The store uses recycling method for the disposal of old furniture.
The Mattress firm has different levels of delivery and pick away services that it offers and so the fees depend on which one you choose. It is approximately $100 for gold, $150 for platinum, and $200 for diamond services.
- The service is available in all 50 states in the US.
- Keep in mind that you can only use Mattress Firm haul away services for mattresses and box springs.
- You must purchase equal number of items from the store as the pieces that you want it to take away.
- You can not expect them to take away couple of mattresses when you have just purchase one new.
- The store uses recycling method for the disposal of old furniture.
American Furniture Warehouse
Another furniture store where you can avail haul away of old furniture items is American Furniture Warehouse. However, keep in mind that you have to pay $30 per item or set for the take away.
- Their services are available in Houston, TX, Denver, andPhoenix.
- It also works in CO metro areas.
- The store would help you haul away mattresses and sleep sets.
- The offer is valid only if you purchase a new mattress or sleep set from the store.
- American Furniture Warehouse uses recycling to dispose off old furniture.
Rooms To Go
One of the simplest haul away service providers are Rooms to Go. You can contact them for fee-free removal of old furniture.
- This offer is available in North Carolina, South Carolina, Texas, Virginia, Florida, Alabama, Georgia, Florida, Tennessee, Mississippi and Louisiana.
- Only mattresses are eligible for haul away.
- It is provided to the customers who buy a new mattress from Rooms to Go. The store would then take away the old one to make the installation convenient for you.
- There is a limitation that the existing mattress at your place can not be heavily soiled.
- Rooms to Go uses dumpsters to dispose off old mattresses.
Raymour & Flanigan
There are no charges for haul away services at Raymour & Flanigan. These are offered for free when you get a delivery of a new mattress from the store.
- The take away is available in selective states only including Virginia, Vermont, Connecticut, Florida, Delaware, Maryland, Georgia, New Jersey, New York, New Hampshire, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, and Massachusetts.
- Only items like box springs and mattresses are eligible for haul away.
- You have to purchase a new mattress and box spring set to get the haul away service for free.
- The store only takes away items that are in sanitary condition.
- Raymour & Flanigan uses recycling for disposal of old furniture.
Bernie & Phyl’s Furniture
You have to pay up to $75 for removing one item and then additional $25 for each item that you select for the haul away. Although Bernie & Phyl’s Furniture is an option, it is an expensive one and so we have placed it at the end of the list!
- You can avail their services in Maine, New Hampshire, and Massachusetts.
- All furniture items are eligible for haul away.
- However, you can only get the same items removed that you purchase at the store.
- The store would remove two chairs and a table as long as you buy two chairs and a table from Bernie & Phyl’s.
- It uses recycling to dispose off old furniture.
Furniture Stores That Do Not Take Away Old Furniture
It is easier to find a store that does not take away old furniture than the ones that do. Even the store that offer to remove your old furniture items will not do until you make a purchase as replacements. Below is an extensive list of furniture stores that may offer free delivery of the products but will not assist you in removal of old items.
- Ashley Furniture HomeStore
- Bassett Furniture
- Value City Furniture
- Cost Plus World Market
- American Signature Furniture
- Ethan Allen
- All Modern
- Pottery Barn
- Badcock Home Furniture
- West Elm
- Birch Lane
- Crate and Barrel
- Williams Sonoma
- Z Galleria
- Joss & Main
How To Get Rid of Old Furniture – Alternatives
As you can see, there is not a long list of furniture stores that help remove old furniture. You can always use their delivery services to get the items you need but when it comes to clearing space for them, you may need help from other sources.
Luckily, there are other reliable and affordable ways to remove old furniture. Consider some of the following ideas to clear space and make room for the new stuff!
Hauling Services For Furniture Removal
There are professional services dedicated solely to removal of old furniture so you don’t need to rely on any store for this task. You can find relevant helplines in your area and schedule an appointment.
- Moreover, you can use the same third-party services to install and assemble new furniture as well.
It is best to get in touch with the company and discuss what you want in detail. In this way, they would be able to calculate the charges and provide you with a quote. Be aware that this is one of the most expensive method to get rid of old furniture.
Donating To Non-Profit Organizations
Multiple local charities are now operating all around the US which target to collect giveaways and deliver them to people who need them. You can find such programs in your vicinity through a simple Google search and see which of them collect furniture for free.
The basic method is to get in touch with the organization and discuss what you are giving away. They may ask you to provide pictures in advance to ensure that they items are, in fact, in condition to be donated. After that, they will schedule a pick up with you.
- Some of the prominent donation programs are Goodwill, Salvation Army, and Habitat.
You can also privately donate the items to schools, shelters for elderly, theatres, worship halls, etc. It is obviously ethical to ensure that you give away furniture that is in good condition.
Removing Furniture Through Waste Management
If you think that the old furniture is pretty worn out, there is no point in getting furniture store to move it or considering it for donation. Instead, it would be better if you use your usual garbage service to take away the items. Waste Management in the US can be really helpful with the removal of washers, sofas, old beds, chairs, etc.
Make Use of Your Contacts
Social media accounts such as Instagram, FaceBook or Twitter are a great way to get in touch with people in different areas that may be interested in getting your old furniture. In fact, there are now even apps and websites that let you sell such items online, for example, the Craig’s List or FaceBook Marketplace.
If you do intend to sell your furniture in this manner, ensure you are dealing with someone you trust. There have been cases of scam where the buying party collects the items but never completes the payment.
There is also no harm in asking a friend for help or inquiring if they need any furniture item from you. Just give them a call and see what they say!
Leave It At The Curb If State Law Allows
Putting up furniture for “free” at the curb side so the needy can pick it if needed is another technique to get rid of old furniture if you can’t find any furniture store to do the task in your area.
However, some states, like Los Angeles have strict laws that do not allow sellers to simply leave old items at the curb when they want to give it away. Do confirm what rules and regulations are in your area before you consider this option.
In the best case scenario, if you can give away furniture for free in this manner, ensure that you do it carefully. Put away the items when the weather is favorable so rain or too much sun does not ruin them.
The Bottom Line
Furniture stores that take away old furniture limit their services to customers who buy something from them instead of offering haul away to everyone. This makes their operation more profitable and give a sense of convenience to buyers who are worried how to make room for furniture items that they are buying.
- You obviously have to consider other options if you don’t intend to buy anything new but still want to get rid of old furniture.
There is hardly any store that will remove your furniture items without purchase. In such cases, you can look into third-party services that offer haul away, donating organizations or take help from waste management unit to dispose off your furniture.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is there a service near me that can pick up old furniture?
Some organizations that can pick up furniture from your house for donation and that too, without any charges include The Arc, Pick Up Please, AMVETS, GreenDrop, Salvation Army, Goodwill, Furniture Bank, etc.
How can I give away my old sofa?
When disposing off old sofas, Local Recycling Centers are the best way to go. This is because they would be happy to pick up the sofas from your place and recycle it for better use instead of just throwing it in the garbage.
Can I schedule a bulky pickup service in Los Angeles?
Many customers have issues bringing bulky items to the drop-off locations by themselves. There are certain services in Los Angeles that can help you in this regards. You can LA Sanitation at 1-800-773-2489 for help.
What will happen if I leave furniture on curb in LA?
It is against the law in Los Angeles to dispose off old sofas, mattresses, furniture, or other household items on the curb outside. You can not get rid of items like this in front of other homes or apartments and may face serious penalties and fines if you do it.
Jamie Johnson is very enthusiastic Kansas City – based freelance writer, and her core expertise are finance and insurance. She has been endorsed on several personal finance, insurance & business website to share her thoughts. Her publications can be found on famous sites like Bankrate, The Balance, Business Insider, Chamber of Commerce and many others.
From many years, she served more than 10,000 hours of research and writing to more than 2000 articles related to personal finance, credit building, mortgages, and personal and student loans.