As ideal as gift cards seem, they are useless if you don’t shop at a specific store. That is when learning how to transfer money from a gift card to PayPal can be handy.
- You can transfer money from gift card to PayPal by visiting CardCash > Present amount > Get offer > Enter PIN > Connect with PayPal > Get my PayPal balance.
- You can also transfer money from Visa gift card to PayPal by Open bank > Add bank > necessary information > Link bank with PayPal > Add funds > Continue.
- You can also send gift card funds to bank account using third-party apps like Square.
…and Much More!
How To Transfer Money From Gift Card to PayPal Balance?
Many people choose to gift pre-loaded cards to their loved ones on special occasions so they can purchase items of their choice. Excellent idea.
However, the trouble is when you receive a gift card from a store where you can’t find any item of interest.
Instead of letting the money go to waste, you can quickly transfer money to another online app, such as PayPal, and use the funds elsewhere.
It is pretty easy to exchange gift card balances for funds on PayPal. This is handy when you get a card you don’t need or can’t find anything of interest at the related store.
You will not just let the money go to waste.
You can convert it to usable cash by transferring the funds to your PayPal balance via CardCash.
- Check for a stable and speedy internet connection. Then open the web browser and type in www.CardCash.com.
- Provide the card issuer’s name and the amount in your gift card.
- Tap on Get Offer.
- Wait for the message to pop up that states the amount of balance you can send from the gift card to PayPal.
- You are free to reject or accept this offer. If you wish to proceed, tap on Continue.
- Now, provide your gift card number and secret PIN.
- Tap on Connect with PayPal.
- Now login to your PayPal account via web service or mobile app.
- Provide the required information in all the necessary fields.
- Tap on Get My PayPal Balance.
This will complete the transaction between the gift card merchant and your PayPal account. Typically, the funds will reach you in a day.
You might also be interested in reading: Where Can I Load My PayPal Card For Free?
How To Transfer Visa Gift Card Balance To PayPal?
PayPal also accepts transfers from Visa or Mastercard gift cards. These are versatile and quite different from store-specific cards like the ones you can buy from eBay, Amazon, or Walmart.
The process of transferring money is a bit different as well. Here’s how it works.
- Open your PayPal account and tap on the Profile button.
- Click on Add or Edit Bank Account. You are here to link your bank account with your PayPal account.
- Now, provide all the necessary information, such as your account number.
- Your bank will link with PayPal. You can check by first making a micro-transaction.
- Now get in touch with customer support service at the bank or visit their nearby branch.
- Inform the bank teller that you wish to transfer the funds on your Visa gift card balance to your bank account. Wait for the said amount to be sent over.
- Open a PayPal account again and tap on Add Funds.
- Then click on Add Funds From The Bank Account.
- Fill in the amount that you wish to transfer. Tap on Continue.
Using a bank account as a mediator is a common way to exchange funds between different apps. The process is safe, quick, and easy to manage.
Why Can’t I Use My Visa Gift Card On PayPal?
You may not be able to connect and use a Visa Gift card on PayPal for several reasons.
- Ensure you have enough balance to cover the purchase amount. It should also cover taxes and shipping fees.
- You should also register your billing address with the card issuer before sending a transaction.
How To Add Money From Amazon Gift Card to PayPal Account?
Before transferring money from an Amazon gift card to PayPal, you must link these two together. After that, the card can support all sorts of transactions. Let’s take a look at how that works.
- Open your PayPal account by providing the login credentials.
- Tap on Wallet. The option will be visible at the top of the page.
- Then click on Link a credit/debit card.
- Choose Debit Card and enter its card number, expiration date, address, CVV, and other data if required.
- Click Continue.
This will complete the process. You can easily send funds from an Amazon gift card to PayPal whenever possible. Is it also possible to use PayPal for Amazon purchases? You can find out how through our easy guide.
Is It Possible To Transfer eBay Gift Card Balance to PayPal?
eBay gift card is another popular choice that users stick to. However, next time you plan on gifting it to your loved ones, remember that it is impossible to send money from an eBay card to PayPal.
- This means the eBay card can only be used to show at eBay.
Although it is an excellent pick for someone interested in most of the items for sale there, if you want to keep the horizons open, it is better to go with other gift cards that allow the balance to be shared with PayPal or other payment apps.
How To Send Gift Card Balance To a Linked Bank Account?
You can also transfer money from a gift card to a bank account. Then, move the funds from the bank to PayPal or use the funds in the report to shop anywhere. However, you will need a third-party app to complete this task. In our case, we recommend using Square.
- Reload your gift card or activate the pre-loaded card by calling the number provided.
- Sign in to your Square account.
- Open Square Settings and choose to connect your bank to the app by providing the account number and other relevant information.
- Then, enter gift card details on the Square App. Alternatively, you can use the Square card reader as well*.
- Wait for Square to accept your card.
- The amount you entered will be deducted from the gift card and deposited in your bank account within 24 hours.
*Card reader carries additional charges. You will pay 2.75% for each entry compared to the manual fee that costs 3.5%+$0.15.
Funds can be instantly sent from a Gift card to a bank account, whereas transfers to certain apps such as Venmo or PayPal may take up to 3 business days.
In contrast, transferring money from gift cards to debit cards is impossible. The transfer should work simply like sending money from one debit card to another, but that is not the case.
What Is a Gift Card?
It traces back to 1994!
The founder of Neiman Marcus Group was the first to offer his clients gift cards.
He did not plan to advertise them, but using such cards to increase customer loyalty worked, and many other companies followed the lead soon afterwards.
Gift cards are now widely available at many stores, and you can even purchase the cards online with your checking account.
What made gift cards so famous? Well, for the brands, they deliver many benefits. Gift cards help to create brand awareness and improve cash flow. Remember that they are attractive to customers!
Open-Loop vs Closed-Loop Gift Cards
There are two types of gift cards.
Typically, banks or credit unions provide open-loop gift cards. You can use the card to pay different merchants and other stores.
On the other hand, the card given out by a specific store such as eBay is known as a closed-loop gift card. You can not use it anywhere else.
Consequently, some cards are reloadable, while others can only be used once. When such cards expire, you can not top up more money.
Gift cards come in all shapes and sizes. You can buy plastic cards for your loved ones or even send them a virtual one via mobile phone or email.
Attention! Virtual Visa gift cards are accepted worldwide.
Then, the recipient can purchase items via gift card on social apps and online stores instead of getting in long store queues.
Gift Cards Payments and Use
Similar to reliable credit cards, gift cards have a specific number printed. However, this does not typically link to an account. You can still secure your virtual card through a PIN.
Reloadable gift cards carry actual money that you have topped up. You can purchase items online or transfer money using the routing and account number.
Cards with one-time payments only can be used at specific stores. Once they are exhausted, throw the useless plastic away.
Here’s how the process works if you are new to shopping via gift cards.
- Get your gift card from a retail store or use one from a family member or friend.
- Add the required items to the cart in-store or online.
- Hand over the gift card at the payment counter and wait for the merchant to run it through the electronic system.
Card readers utilize serial numbers, barcodes, and magnetic strips to deduct the amount from the card. You can top up the amount later if it is a reloadable card. Otherwise, you need to keep a check on the remaining balance.
Card issuers store the relevant information and value of the card in their database. Other data is also encrypted and secured so scammers can not make a copy and dodge new buyers.
The Bottom Line
Gift cards are handy when you don’t want to carry around cash. It makes them even more convenient if you can learn to share the funds to other apps such as PayPal and use the money at any store of your liking.
Once the card is linked to PayPal, it will rid you of the limitation to only buy items from the card is accepted. Isn’t that amazing?
Hopefully, the article has addressed everything you wanted to know about gift card balance transfers to PayPal and bank accounts. Please let us know in the comment section below if we have left anything out. I’m eager to hear about your reviews!
Frequently Asked Questions About How To Transfer Money From Gift Card To PayPal
How do I transfer money from my Vanilla gift card to PayPal?
PayPal accepts a Vanilla Visa gift card after you add it as a linked payment method. Just tap on Link a Card, and the transfer option will appear.
Can I transfer money to PayPal using a gift card?
Yes. You can add a gift card as the payment method on PayPal, but it depends on your card. For example, Amazon and Visa cards can send the balance to a PayPal account, but eBay does not support this transaction.
How can I send funds from a Visa gift card to a linked bank account?
You will need a third-party app to complete this task. In our case, we recommend using Square. Sign in to your Square account. Open Square Settings and choose to connect your bank to the app by providing the account number and other relevant information.
Then, enter gift card details on the Square App. Alternatively, you can use the Square card reader as well. Wait for Square to accept your card. The amount you entered will be deducted from the gift card and deposited in your bank account within 24 hours.
You can also withdraw cash from the gift card at the Kiosk and deposit the funds into your bank account.
Can you change the balance you have on a gift card to cash?
You can visit the gift card exchange kiosk to trade your card for cash. You can find such trade points at various grocery stores. However, the Kiosk will offer you a deal different from the amount of balance you have on the card. You can choose to accept or turn down the value.
Can I send my money on my eBay gift card to PayPal?
It is not possible to send money from an eBay card to PayPal. This means the eBay card can only be used to show at eBay.
How can I convert a Starbucks gift card to PayPal?
You need to log in to your PayPal account and click Wallet. Then, choose to link a debit/credit card. Here, enter the information of the Starbucks prepaid gift card and tap the Link to add the prepaid card to your PayPal balance.
Can you use a prepaid card on PayPal to send money?
Yes, you can use prepaid gift cards anywhere PayPal is accepted as long as it has a MasterCard, Visa, Discover, or American Express logo on it.
Jamie Johnson is very enthusiastic Kansas City – based freelance writer, and her core expertise are finance and insurance. She has been endorsed on several personal finance, insurance & business website to share her thoughts. Her publications can be found on famous sites like Bankrate, The Balance, Business Insider, Chamber of Commerce and many others.
From many years, she served more than 10,000 hours of research and writing to more than 2000 articles related to personal finance, credit building, mortgages, and personal and student loans.