Venmo supports prepaid cards to perform various transactions on its platforms, one of the best mobile payment services that you can use at the majority of the stores now. However, there is a particular set of criteria it has to abide by and to know what prepaid cards work with Venmo, give this guide a complete read and learn how you can link your prepaid cards to the Venmo account.
- While it supports credit and debit cards, Venmo also supports several prepaid cards to make payments.
- Just make sure that whatever prepaid card you link with Venmo is the network branded and registered in your official name.
- Venmo typically supports Prepaid cards from Discover, American Express, Visa, and Mastercard.
…and Much More!
What Prepaid Cards Work with Venmo?
Unlike other payment cards such as debit cards and credit cards, prepaid cards do not require to be linked with official bank accounts. As a result, these are a perfect alternative to carrying cash all along, and you can always load them to be used at several locations.
Top up your cards with the cash amount as per your requirements and feasibility, and manage your budget professionally and intelligently. While Venmo allows you to link debit and credit cards, it supports some eligible prepaid cards.
- You can utilize your reloadable prepaid cards at Venmo and send money to the Venmo account.
In addition to this, Venmo also allows users to link a gift card, for instance, the Vanilla Visa Gift Card. Just connect it with Venmo and use it to purchase items without linking it to a bank account.
Another equally important pre-requisites you must keep in your head before using prepaid cards that work with Venmo.
- It should be network-branded.
- Secondly, it has to be registered in your official name.
You might be interested in reading: How to Add Money To Venmo With a Prepaid Card?
Prepaid Cards With Venmo – Is It Safe?
While we are on the topic, our responsibility is to light the safety and security of using prepaid cards with Venmo. Well, you might already be aware of the fact that Venmo’s parent company is PayPal, renowned for online money transfer services.
Any financial provider under such a top-notch company would be provided with every single security measure to prevent any fraud it might be prone to. Therefore, using the prepaid cards with Venmo comes with complete encryption and protection of your personal information.
To further support safety, Venmo uses personal QR codes so that you may not end up sending money to the wrong account and recipient on the other end.
Some of the top prepaid cards that Venmo caters to on its platform include:
- Brinks Prepaid Mastercard
Using Brink’s Money Prepaid Mobile App, you can manage your account and make Direct Deposits. It has a variable monthly fee with no credit needed.
- PayPal Prepaid Mastercard
Moreover, it offers Direct Deposits with a cashback and several personalized offers. It offers a variable monthly fee with no credit needed.
- NetSpend Visa Prepaid Card
You can use this card to manage your NetSpend Mobile App and enjoy no late fees or even interest charges. It also has a variable monthly fee with no credit needed.
You might be interested in reading: How To Borrow Money From Venmo?
How to Add a Prepaid Card Prepaid Card To Venmo?
Since Venmo accepts most prepaid cards, it is essential that you know how to send money through Venmo in a few basic steps:
- Go to the Venmo app.
- Click on the option of Menu on the screen.
- Next, choose the option of Settings from there.
- Under the option of Preferences, you will see Payment Methods.
- Please click on it.
- Once done, click on the Add bank or card option.
- Since you are adding a prepaid card, click on the Card option from the pop-up. Enter all the card details manually.
- Please enter the ZIP code, the numbers, the expiration rate, and all other relevant information required in the fields.
- You can also take a picture of the card using your mobile camera, and the app reads the data automatically.
- Lastly, click on the option of Add to complete the process.
And that is it! This is how you can conveniently add money to Venmo using a prepaid card.
Why Was My Venmo Prepaid Card Declined?
There can be multiple reasons why the prepaid card linked to your Venmo account is declined during payment. Some of the factors you should look into are summarized below.
- The card may be declined if the issuer or the Venmo app suspects you of any suspicious activity.
- Check again to confirm that you are using a card that Venmo supports.
- You can also try to remove the card and link it with the Venmo app again to remove any glitches that may be causing issues with the transfer.
- The last resort is to reach out to Venmo customer support for guidance.
You might be interested in reading: How Do I Know If My Venmo Payment Went Through?
Prepaid Card Alternatives for Venmo
Venmo offers various directions and options to help you send money other than credit or debit cards, gift cards, ATM withdrawals, and bank accounts.
We know Venmo has outstanding services for the customers, which they can approach to get the best out of their Venmo accounts.
Venmo Mastercard Debit Card
One such financial product Venmo has in the box for its users is the Venmo Mastercard Debit Card. It assists you in sending money from the brick-and-mortar bank account to the Venmo account in a few simple steps.
If you wish to transfer money from your savings account to this most popular iOS and Android app, here is what you need to do:
- Go to the Venmo app on your smartphone.
- Here, click on the option of Manage Balance.
- Fill in the amount you wish to transfer to your Venmo account.
- Choose the account you want to withdraw the money from, i.e., either a checking account or a savings account.
- Next, take a look at the transaction details.
- Here, click on the option of Add Money. And that is it!
Cash a Check Service
Another prepaid card alternative at Venmo is that of the Cash a Check. To use this service, you need to make sure that you verify your identity through legal procedures offered on Venmo.
Once you have successfully applied for the Venmo Debit Card or Setting Up Direct Deposit, here is what you need to do to cash a check quickly at Venmo:
- Download the latest version of the Venmo app on your smartphone.
- On the screen, click on the single-person icon.
- It directs you to the You tab.
- Here, you need to click on the option of Manage Balance.
- Once done, please click on Cash a Check option.
- Next, you need to verify the account information and enter the check amount.
- Then, click a picture of both sides of your check and click on Next.
- Select the transfer method which decides how long it will take before you have access to the money.
- Please wait for the approval as the company goes through all the data provided before approving the check.
- As soon as the company approves your check, you have to write VOID on the front side of your check.
- Once done, submit another photo.
- And that is it! There is a confirmation page display showing the verified amount transferred.
Please make sure you follow the stepwise procedure and make no such attempt to write VOID on the check before the company authorizes and approves it. Also, you can deposit checks of an amount ranging from $5 to %5000 per day and $15000 monthly.
The Bottom Line
Debit cards and credit cards are among the safest options to make money transfers, but so are prepaid cards. While they cut off much of an extra hassle and regulations you have to abide by if you are a debit/credit card user, they also can be used with financial platforms such as Venmo.
- Just link your prepaid card or a gift card to Venmo and use it to perform various transactions since many prepaid cards work with Venmo.
Venmo hooks up only to the network branded cards such as American Express, Visa, Mastercard, and Discover. So, get one for yourself if you have trouble opening or qualifying for a bank account.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can you use a credit card on Venmo to pay someone?
Yes, Venmo allows you to make payments using a credit card in addition to a variety of other methods such as a bank account, debit card, or Venmo in-app balance.
Is a Venmo card a prepaid card?
Venmo Mastercard debit card is a debit card linked to your Venmo account. It allows you to utilize Venmo balance anywhere just like debit card payments work.
What banks work best with Venmo?
Synchrony, Chase, BOA, Wells Fargo, Citibank, and U.S. Bank are some of the major banks that work with Venmo.
How to transfer a Visa gift card to a Venmo balance?
Open the app and sign in to your account. Then tap on the three horizontal lines and select You. Then click Manage Balance and choose Add Money. Select the Visa gift card that you want to transfer the money and enter the amount. Select confirm.
Jamie Johnson is very enthusiastic Kansas City – based freelance writer, and her core expertise are finance and insurance. She has been endorsed on several personal finance, insurance & business website to share her thoughts. Her publications can be found on famous sites like Bankrate, The Balance, Business Insider, Chamber of Commerce and many others.
From many years, she served more than 10,000 hours of research and writing to more than 2000 articles related to personal finance, credit building, mortgages, and personal and student loans.