You can add money to Venmo account through various means. Although the most popular ones are using a linked bank account or credit/debit cards, Venmo accepts prepaid card transaction as well. Let’s check out how to add money to Venmo with a prepaid card!
- You can add a prepaid card to Venmo by Open app > Menu > Settings > Preferences > Payment methods > Add bank or card > Add card > Card information > Add > Confirm.
- Alternative ways to send money to Venmo is by requesting a friend or relative, adding a bank account, using direct deposit or using a check deposit.
- Venmo works with network-branded cards such as Mastercard, Visa, American Express, and Discover.
…and Much More!
How To Add Money To Venmo With a Prepaid Card – Step By Step Guide
For user’s relief and convenience, Venmo works prepaid as well as gift cards from different issuers including Mastercard, Visa, American Express and Discover. Therefore, you can add these cards to Venmo and use them to transfer funds to your Venmo account directly.
- Open the Venmo app and use your login credentials to access the account.
- Click on the Menu button on the home-screen.
- Then tap on Settings.
- Look for Preferences option under which you will find Payment Methods listed. Click on it.
- The next step is to click on Add Bank or Card.
- Since you intend to add a prepaid card in this example, click on Add Card and proceed.
- Provide the necessary prepaid card information. This would include card number, expiry date, etc.
- You also need to enter the Zip code and the Security code to continue.
- Click on Add and the prepaid card would be linked to your Venmo account.
Now you can use the prepaid card to send money to Venmo without any hassle. However, keep in mind that the transfer may be turned down for a number of other reasons.
- Venmo has the authority to reject a transaction if there is a problem with the card issuer or threat of a fraud.
Prepaid Cards That Work With Venmo
As we mentioned before, Venmo works with network-branded cards such as Mastercard, Visa, American Express, and Discover. You can link up to 4 cards with Venmo including credit, debit, gift card or prepaid card.
- If you are not able to link a card with Venmo, there may be reasons other than card not supporting Venmo app.
For example, lack of funds in the card or fraud issues can hinder Venmo connecting with a prepaid card. Venmo stands strong against scamming issues on the app. Therefore, it will restrict your account if any such suspicious activity is suspected.
How To Add Money To Venmo Without a Prepaid Card?
As we mentioned before, there are other ways to add money to your Venmo account and some of these are popular than using a prepaid card. First of all, you can simply request a friend or a relative to transfer money to your Venmo account.
- You can later pay them back in cash or have funds sent to their bank account.
However, only Venmo users can send you money via this method. This is because Venmo does not support direct transfers to other apps like Cash App, Zelle, PayPal, etc. You will have to send money from Venmo to bank account and then forward the amount to other platforms. Let’s take a look at some other alternatives now.
- Use a bank account
Another reliable method is to simply use your linked account to send money to Venmo. This is a pretty direct method and shouldn’t take more than a couple of days to receive the money.
Open Settings in your Venmo account and tap on Payment Methods. Then click on Add Bank and choose the preferred mode of transfer as well as the amount of money to send.
Venmo may decline your payment if you provide wrong bank account information. Therefore, it is crucial to check the details that you add so you don’t end up losing money. Moreover, Venmo instant transfer requires you to pay a 1.5% additional fee. Make sure you have sufficient funds in your account before you confirm the transaction.
- Use direct deposit
Your employer can also send you money on Venmo via direct deposit. You just need to provide Venmo routing and account number to the company. Similarly, you can receive tax returns, government benefits, and other deposit through this method as well.
- Use check deposit
Checks can also be deposited into Venmo account digitally. You have to sign the back of the check and upload photos to Venmo. The transfer of money through this method can take a couple of days as well.
Steps To Create Venmo Account
If you have just learnt how to send money to Venmo with a prepaid card but do not have a Venmo account yet then you would need to begin the procedure by creating one first. Check that your internet is working and then follow the quick guide below to open an account with Venmo.
- Download Venmo on your device and choose to sign up via Facebook or email.
- Provide your phone number to verify the account.
- Enter the 4-digit number that is sent to your phone in order to proceed.
- Add a photo to Venmo for verification.
- Choose a username and password for your Venmo account.
- Click on Done to finish off the procedure.
Later on, you can sync your phone contacts to Venmo to help find and add friends easily. Remember, Venmo is a social app that lets you communicate with others in addition to sending and receiving money. If a contact makes you feel uncomfortable, you can always choose to block someone on Venmo. ‘
You might be interested in reading: How To Unblock Someone on Venmo?
The Bottom Line
Although Venmo use is somewhat limited, as it is not available in Canada, Venmo app has become quite popular in the US for quick money transfers through smartphones or computers.
- You can add a bank, debit card, credit card as well as prepaid card or gift card to Venmo as it supports transactions from all such means.
Nonetheless, there are apps that do not allow you to send money to Venmo or receive money from it directly. Alternative to this, you can link a same bank account to both apps to act as a bridge in order to solve this issue.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is it possible to use a prepaid card to send money to my Venmo account?
Venmo accepts prepaid cards in addition to debit card, credit cards, and network-branded cards, etc.
Can you add money to Venmo account without a bank?
If you don’t have a bank account, you can request other, friends or family members to transfer money into your Venmo account. Alternatively, you can also link a Venmo debit card for money transfers.
What is the method to add money to Venmo?
In order to add funds to your Venmo account, you have to link and verify a bank. Then select Manage Balance in your Venmo app, click on Add Money, provide bank details and the amount of money you wish to add and confirm the transfer. The transaction may take up to 5 business days to complete.