- You can return an item to a different store location with specific retailers such as Home Depot, Walmart, Target, Apple Store, CVS, Gap, etc.
- It is not possible to buy a product at one store and return it to a completely different store.
- Some items are not eligible for return with any of the retailers. These include food products, beauty items, hygienic medical equipment, used tires, etc.
…and Much More!
Can You Return an Item To a Different Store Location?
When you wish to return a product to the store, it is first important to figure out whether an item is eligible for the return or not.
Some items are marked ineligible by most of the stores while there are other products that some store allow you to return and other do not. In a nutshell, return policies typically vary from one retailer to another.
- So whether you can return an item to a different store, a different store location or return it at all depends on the individual policies.
Items That Are Eligible For Return
You have two ways to return an eligible item to the store. Either you visit the same outlet where you got it from or you vist the store alternative at another location. Whether a retailer allows you to return the product to another store location depend on its own policies.
- Keep on reading and you will find out about all the store where you can return an item to a different store location.
Items That Are Not Eligible For Return
There are items that you can not return to a different store or even the same store location. These can also not be exchanged once the payment has been completed. We have listed some of the prominent ones below.
- Prescription medicines.
- Used tired.
- Used sewer lines.
- Trading cards.
- Flammable liquid or gases.
- Firearms and ammunition.
- Powered vehicles.
- Paper goods.
- Food items.
- Hygienic medical equipment.
List of Store That Allow You To Return An Item To Different Location
Stores are generally not very strict when it comes to return of eligible items. You would only find a few names that specify that you must return the product to the same store. Otherwise, most retailers allow you to return an item to a different store location.
Keep in mind that even the stores that allow you to return to another store location may not have this offering for all products. Some items, in particular, need to be returned at the store where you got it from.
Moreover, individual stores have variable rules and regulations for returns, refunds, and exchanges. Below we have listed some prominent names that let you buy return an item to different store location.
Walmart allows for returns within 90 days of purchase for most items. However, some products can not be returned at all without purchased receipt or once they have been opened. Walmart’s return policy should be able to guide you better in this regards!
- You can return the item to any of the Walmart store’s location whether you have brought it online or in-store. The only exception is the stuff you get from marketplace at Walmart. This has to be returned to and refunded by the seller directly.
- Returns with the receipt will receive refund to the original payment method. This includes debit card, credit card, cash or Walmart gift card.
- Returns of items which were purchased through check payment will also get check as long as you have receipt.
- However, if the receipt is missing, you have to pass return verification to obtain the refund in form of cash or store credit.
- There is a long list of items that are not eligible for return at Walmart. These include ammunition, air mattresses, medical equipment, dirt bikes, damaged funeral products, defective funeral products, minutes for prepaid cell phone plans, funeral products of any types, gift cards, e-delivery software, firearms, air weapons, diabetic supplies, scooters, ATVs, UTVs, gas-powered mini bikes, trading cards, digital video games, unlocked wireless phones, SIM cards, prepaid gaming cards, pepper sprays, on-demand videos, installed tired, mounted tires, prescription medicines, medical services, etc.
Note! You must return contract cell phones to the specific stores where you purchase it from. Moreover, items like unlocked wireless phones, e-delivery software, funeral products, and air mattresses can only be exchanged for other products but not refunded.
The Home Depot
Home Depot promises a full refund on return of most products within 90 days. There are obviously exceptions, for example, you must return or request a refund for rugs, furniture items, generators, consumer electronics, and gas-powered equipment within 30 days of the purchase.
- You can return the products at any of the Home Depot store locations regardless of where you bought it from.
- If you made a specific deal or had a contract at a particular store at the time of the purchase then the return of the product would be limited to that outlet only.
- You can only return new and unopened items to Home Depot. Moreover, you must have a photo ID in case the order receipt is missing.
- With the receipt, you are eligible for a full refund to the original payment method. However, if the receipt is missing then the store would only provide you with store credit for the item’s lowest advertised price.
- There are certain items at Home Depot that are ineligible for return. These include utility trainers, whole-house and stationary generators, cut flowers, custom products, gift cards, store credits, products samples, floral arrangements, labor and delivery services, installation services, and major appliances once delivered.
Attention! Home Depot consumer/commercia Credit Account Holders have flexible return window. They can refund an eligible item at Home Depot within 365 days.
You can return a product purchased at Walmart within 30 days as long as you bring along the receipt or photo ID as proof of identification.
- Walmart accept returns at any of the store location regardless of where the customer got it from, online or store at another location.
- Return and exchange of products like cosmetics or electronics are at the discretion of store managers.
- Returns with the receipt should get you full refund to the original payment method.
- In case the buyer is not able to provide the receipt, he or she will get store credit equal to the lowest advertised price of the item.
- Items such as gift cards, prepaid cards, seasonal products, intimate health products, and birchbox BYOB are ineligible for return.
You have 90 days to return a product at Macy’s which holds true for most of them items sold here. However, there are exceptions. For example, you must return TVs, major appliances, electronics, outdoor power equipment, liquid paint, highway trailers, pressure washers, and mowers within 30 days of purchase.
- Lowe’s accepts return of online and in-store purchases at any of the store location.
- In case you are returning highway trailers, then you must visit the original state where you got it from. If you are returning a special order, there may be an additional restocking fee of 20% the charges for the item.
- You must return the item in unused and defect-free condition. Return with purchase receipt will get refund to original method of payment.
- You have to give photo ID proof if the receipt is missing. Then you will be eligible for store credit or gift card refund. Return for online purchases will not get you the shipping fee back.
- It is not possible to return gift cards, safety masks or facial coverings at Lowe’s.
You might be interested in reading: Lowe’s Credit Limit Increase.
Best Buy also has an extensive return policy and promises full refund if you bring back the product with all packaging and accessories. However, keep in mind that it is compulsary to provide a photo ID if you do not have the purchase receipt. Otherwise, the store may not accept the refund.
- You can return the products that you bought in store or online at any of the Best Buy locations.
- The return window is typically 15 days long but Best Buy Elite members and Elite Plus members can avail extended periods of up to 45 days.
- However, you can only return cell phones, cellular tablets and smartwatches within 14 days and major appliances within 15 days.
- The refund is given to the original method of payment.
- Consumable items like batteries or cleaning products, completed services, vehicle replacement key fobs, personalized orders, prepaid cards, opened SIM kits, plumbing items, digital content, memberships, subscriptions, and gift packaging are not eligible for returns.
You can return a product at Macy’s within 90 days of purchase as long as you bring it back in original condition and preferably with the tag.
- Macy’s accept in-store return at any location and for all products purchased online or at a retailer.
- With receipt return are eligible for immediate, full refund to the original payment method.
- Gift cards at Macy’s or products without receipt will get you store credit only.
- You can return products purchased online with full refund of the price of the item but this will not include original shipping or delivery charges.
- Moreover, food, beverages, special orders, altered items, Macy’s Beauty Box items, and Alexandre London customer orders are ineligible for returns at Macy’s.
It is best to return a product to Target within 90 days. Moreover, it should not be opened or used. To make the refund successful, it is also important that you take it back along with all accessories and packaging material in which it was provided. With that being said, open box returns are still possible at Target.
- In-store and online purchases can be returned at any of the Target store locations.
- REDcard holders get 120 days of return window and 1 year for Target-owned brands.
- If you provide the receipt, you can get refund to the original payment method.
- Without the receipt, you need to show valid photo ID and get the refund in form of merchandise return card.
- Items such as prepaid cards, open music, personalized items, video games, software, movies, defective collectibles, open collectibles, gift cards, digital items, and open airbeds are not eligible for return here.
You might be interested in reading: Does Target Make Keys?
Dollar General accepts returns within 30 days of purchase. You must bring the product for return along with the original purchase receipt, full packaging and any accessories that were included at the time of sale.
- Buyers can return the products that they bought in store at any of the Dollar General store location.
- It does not accept return of online orders in store. You can, however, contact the customer support team and request additional information on how tor return a product purchased through the website.
- Dollar General provides refund to the original payment method after approval.
- You can not return or exchange gift cards and prepaid cards.
- Additionally, gift wrapping services are also ineligible for returns.
You can return items at Kohl’s within 180 days of purchase. However, some products may have shorter return window such as electronics which you can only return within 30 days and holiday returns have cut off date by the end of January.
- Whether you buy the product online or in-store, you can return it at any of the Kohl’s store locations.
- The items must not be open at the time of return.
- You have to provide a photo ID in case the receipt is missing. This will get you merchandise credit.
- Returns with purchase receipt promises full refund to your original payment method.
- Kohl’s gift cards are not eligible for returns.
All Apple stores allow you to return a product within 14 days as long as you bring it back with all the accessories such as manual books, cords, adapters.
- You can return the item you bought either in store or online at any of the US Apple store location.
- The return policy is applicable to the products that you buy at the Apple Store and not through third-party providers such as Best Buy or eBay. In that case, you can only return or exchange the product through that platform.
- If you return the product with the receipt, the store will refund the money to the original payment method and in full.
- In case the customer is not able to provide the purchase receipt, Apple Store would still approve the refund but in form of an Apple gift card.
- There are certain products that are not eligible for returns. These include Apple Print products, Software upgrades, Opened software, electronic software, gift cards, and Apple Developer products.
Attention! You may be able to return an Opened software if you have not yet installed it.
You can return products at CVS within 60 days of purchase. Moreover, it must be in unopened condition and obviously, unused. On the other hand, CVS own products come under satisfaction guarantee. This means if you are not happy with the quality, you can return the item to the store even after it has been opened.
- You can return items that you bought at CVS online or in store to any of the CVS store locations.
- It is compulsary to show photo ID for verification if you do not have the receipt at the time of return.
- Moreover, returns without purchase receipts will get you only the lowest advertised price of the product in the form of store credit.
- If a buyer is able to provide the receipt, he or she gets a full refund to the original form of payment.
- Items like gift cards, certain health care items, prepaid cards, phone cards, and personal care products can not be returned or exchanged.
Gap accepts products back within 45 days of the return window as determined by its return policy. Moreover, the item must be in its original condition, not used, not damaged and preferably inclusive of packaging.
- You can return Gap products purchased online or in store at any of the Gap locations.
- Gap stores do not offer return or exchange of products bought from its partner stores like Banana Republic or Old Navy.
- Gap offers refunds to the original method of payment for most purchases.
- You will mostly not require any proof or identification at the time of return.
- Any item that you bought when it was marked down for sale is not eligible for return.
JCPenney accepts returns although it has not specified any time window within which the products should be brought back. Customer survey shows that there is 24 hour return window for optical items, 48 hours for fitness equipment, mattresses, furniture, 10 days for fitness smartwatches and 60 days for fine jewelry and portraits.
- The buyers are free to return the product at any of JCPenney store locations.
- You must return the item in its original condition along with photo ID proof is the receipt is not available.
- The receipt will get you a full refund to the original payment method.
- You can get store credit for the item’s lowest advertised price without the receipt. However, this is only walid for up to 45 days after which the return window closes.
- Products like gift cards, monogrammed items, personalized items, perishable items, face masks, body jewelry, custom items, custom services, and perishable foods are ineligible for return at JCPenney.
Period of time in which you can return an item to Staples depends on the particular product but, typically, electronics and furniture should be returned within 14 days and unopened, unexpired items can be returned any time.
Staples accept return at any of its store location.
- Return with receipt will get you refund to the original form of payments and this can only happen at the store where you made the purchase because Staples only look up receipts at particular point of purchase.
- If you don’t have the receipt, you are eligible for return in form of store credit equal to the item’s lowest retail price within pase 1 month.
- It is also compulsary to show photo ID if you don’t have the receipt at the time of return.
- The product that you are returning should preferably be in sealable condition. It is ideal to bring it along with packaging and any accessories or add-ons that you got when purchasing.
- Staples does not accept digital software, prepaid cards, and open software for returns. Open software can be exchanged at the store.
You can return an item to Rite Aid within 90 days of purchase. However, the product should not be opened. It is preferable if you bring it back in original packaging.
- Rite Aid only allows you to return products purchased in stores to any of the Rite Aid store location. Online purchases can not be returned or exchanged in this manner.
- Items returned with the receipt and wellness card with get you refund directly to the original payment form.
- If you do not have the receipt, it is better to present wellness card and photo ID at the time of return.
- Then you would be eligible for a refund with lowest sale price within last 45 days in form of a gift card.
- Products like prescriptions, money services, gift cards, cigarettes, prepaid cards, lottery tickes, and tobacco are not eligible for return at Rite Aid.
T.J. Maxx has a product return window of 30 days as long as you bring it back in an unworn condition alogn with a valid photo ID if you don’t have the receipt.
- You are free to return the product to any of the store’s location whether you bought it online or in store.
- However, it is not possible to return an item you bought at T.J. Maxx to its sister brand like Marshalls.
- Return with receipt will get you a full refund to original form of payment.
- If you don’t have the receipt, then the refund will be in form of store credit. Gift receipt or return after 30 days will also get you store credit only.
- You can not return an item at T.J. Maxx that has been worn, washed, or is in an unsellable condition. Garments of any type should have their protection stickers attached at the time of the return.
Sears allows you to return an item between anywhere from 7 days to 365 days. If you happen to be a member of Shop Your Way, the return window may be extended for you.
- Items purchased at Sears physical outlets and at Sears.com can be returned to any of the Sears locations.
- You must return the product along with its original packing and all accessories that were included at the time of the purchase.
- Returns with proof of purchase will get you refund to the original form of payment.
- Return without the receipt or if you bring along gift receipt will get you store credit only. or an exchange offer.
- Variety of items at Sears are not eligible for return. These include whole-house generators, untagged clothes, worn clothes or shoes, adjustable bed, personalized items, adjustable foundations, installed automotive products, open music, movies, video games, software, collectibles, gift cards, display items, and replacement merchandise. Seasonal items can also not be returned once the season or particular holiday time has passed.
Attention! Needless to say, there is a long list of stores that do not allow you to return an item bought at one location to a store in another location. LensCrafters and Uniqlo are just a couple of example. Do you know more?
Can You Return an Item From One Store To a Different Store?
As you can see, there are many retailers that allow you to buy products at one store and return them, if needed, to another store location. That is their way to make the return feasible and more convenient for the customers.
- However, it is not possible to return the product to a completely different store.
In simpler words, you can not buy something from Walmart or return it at Target, get something from HomeGoods and return it at T.J. Maxx, etc. You may consider buying something at Walmart and returning the product to a Walmart store at a different location.
Steps To Return a Purchase In Stores
In most cases, it is compulsary to share purchase receipt or in-voice for the item that you wish to return. Some stores may refuse it down right to exchange or replace a bought item without the receipt while others may show leniency to some extent.
- First of all, pack the item in its original box if possible. Then collect it and head to the store.
- Make sure you also pack along any materials and accessories that came with the product.
- Share your concerns with the person on the help desk. Do explain why you want to return the item. Share legit reasons such as the item does not work, you bought the wrong thing, etc. Do not say that you did not like it at home as that might not count as a reason strong enough to return the purchase.
- You may also have to visit the return department if there is one available.
- Then explain whether you want to return the product and get a refund or get something in exchange for it.
Attention! It is helpful to check out store’s website, if available. It will have a detailed returned policy so you would know what to expect when you get there.
We would also recommend that you take the product which you want to return to the store as soon as possible. Some stores only offer return or exchange up to a certain period after purchase, typically up to 2 weeks. The selling records at the store would also be recent if you go sooner so you expect quick results.
Steps To Return a Purchase Online
Returning a purchase online may a bit trickier than in-store returns and exchanges. However, online returns are more frequent because, mostly, customers do not look into details of the products and then find the need to return it once they obtain the delivery. If that is the case with you too, here’s how you can return a product online.
- Open the online store from where you made the purchase.
- Then find its return policy. It should be on the home-page. Go through the policy keenly to understand how the return process on the specific website works.
- See if there is anything mentioned about how to return an unused or unopened item. There may also be other details on the site like exchange of clothing with or without tags, returning product that has been used once, etc.
- Then follow the instructions that the website provides you with.
Most online stores now provide step-by-step guide for processing a return. You should not have any trouble request for a refund or an exchange when following this guide.
Note! Some online stores also require you to print a return shipping label and attach it with a package when sending it back to the store. The website will have additional instructions on how to get this done if it is a requirement.
It isn’t likely that a store would specify the carrier services that you can use to return the product but we would still recommend you call the customer service to confirm. Generally speaking, U.S. mail, FedEx and UPS are good options.
Retailers like eBay and Amazon are third party stores. If you purchase anything through these platforms and then wish to file for a refund or return, it is better to get in touch with the seller directly. You should be able to find the contact information on the specific stores.
The Bottom Line
We hope this article took care of most of the questions that you had about return of items to a store. It can be confusing but still, extremely important to know so you can hope for considerable and timely refund.
As we mentioned before, for more information and confirmed guidelines it is useful that you go through the specific store’s return guidelines. These are mostly available on their website and should have all the details that you need!
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I return a gift to the store by myself?
You can return a gift to the relevant store as long as you have the purchase or gift receipt with it. Most stores will give you store credit for gifts over $10 and cash refund if the item was under $10.
Are recalled items eligible for returns?
Yes. You can definitely return a recalled item, get a refund or request an exchange from the seller. Items that are found to be defected upon purchase can be returned regardless of the condition they are i.e. opened or unopened. You are eligible for a full cash refund in this case.
Can I return an incorrectly boxed item and get a full refund?
Both, damaged and items that are packed incoorectly are eligible for return. However, what you are offered in exchange may vary from one store to another. Some give full refund, other offer gift cards whereas some only allow you to exchange it for a new product. You will have to go through the store’s return policy for more information.
Can you return an item bought with SNAP financing?
Such items can also be returned but mostly, you will not be able to get a full refund in this case. You may get some percentage as store credit or replace the item with the same product.
Jamie Johnson is very enthusiastic Kansas City – based freelance writer, and her core expertise are finance and insurance. She has been endorsed on several personal finance, insurance & business website to share her thoughts. Her publications can be found on famous sites like Bankrate, The Balance, Business Insider, Chamber of Commerce and many others.
From many years, she served more than 10,000 hours of research and writing to more than 2000 articles related to personal finance, credit building, mortgages, and personal and student loans.