However, large companies that don’t offer Apple Pay yet and rely on alternative payment methods. This brings us to our question, does Kroger take Apple Pay?
What Will We Talk About Here?
1. Kroger, unfortunately, does not take Apple pay but offers payment via alternative options.
2. Contactless alternative options offered by Kroger like Kroger Pay, Debit Cards, Credit Cards, and cash, etc.
3. You can use Kroger Pay App by Installing the app > Use the one-time QR code sent to you > Scan it on the counter > Payment confirmed.
…and Much More!
Does Kroger Accept Apple pay?
A variety of 13 small grocery store brands comes under Kroger grocery stores few of which are:
- Food 4 Less
- Fred Meyer
- Harris Teeter
- King Soopers
- Ruler Foods
Kroger does not accept Apple Pay at any of the above-mentioned brands except QFC.
- One small deviation from Kroger: QFC Brand
Kroger is conducting a trial in the Seattle area where they take Apple Pay at 61 QFC’s which is around 2% of their stores.
You’re in luck if you want to use your Apple Pay mobile wallet and you live in Seattle. This trial proved to be positive for Apple Pay users and also opened options for Kroger.
You might be interested in reading: Does Target Take Apple Pay?
Why Doesn’t Kroger Take Apple Pay?
There are a few theories that tell us why Kroger doesn’t take Apple Pay and launched its mobile payment service, Kroger Pay, instead.
First of all, Kroger grocery store wants its customers to use the Kroger Pay app rather than other alternatives. They find Apple Pay and other contactless payment options as competition to their mobile payment scheme.
- This benefits the Company and allows its customers to use the Kroger Pay to get Loyalty cards and different coupons.
Another theory is that Kroger did not want to entrust its payments and transactions to a third party.
Kroger gave Apple Pay a trial in a few of its brands to check its compatibility with the customers and the system, but never got a positive response from its customers.
Contactless Payment Alternatives At Kroger
Kroger does offer some other contactless payment options like:
- Credit Card
- Debit Card
- Kroger Pay
- Personal Checks
- SNAP/EBT Card
You might be interested in reading: Does Walmart Take Apple Pay?
Kroger Pay – How Does It Work?
Now that we know Kroger does not accept Apple Pay but there is an alternative app provided by Kroger to its customers for their convenience: Kroger Pay.
- This app was specially built for iPhone users who want to make contactless payments.
Kroger Pay is not only a convenient payment option but designs a more efficient checkout process for Apple users.
Install and Use Kroger Pay
Here’s how you can get started with Kroger Pay app.
- Install the Kroger Pay app before you enter the store.
- After selecting your desired products, open the app.
- You will receive a one-time quick response code (QR Code).
- On reaching the checkout counter scan your QR code on the store’s PIN pad.
- The information will be coded from your phone to the store pad immediately
- A ‘payment confirmed’ or a tick sign will appear on your screen.
- Bag your items and go. That’s it!
- Kroger Pay does not use NFC technology like Apple Pay
The Kroger Pay program combines a customer’s payment and card information securely to provide a faster, more convenient experience to its loyal customers.
Payment Methods Accepted by Kroger Pay
Just like other large grocery stores, Kroger accepts payments via Credit and Debit card, MasterCard, VISA, and also American Express and Discover.
- Cash, personal checks, WIC cards, and SNAP/EBT cards are all accepted at Kroger.
Kroger also mentioned that it was contemplating introducing other payment options like
- Fitbit Pay
- Google Pay
- Samsung Pay
- Mobile banking apps
Online Payments at Kroger
Kroger customers can even utilize Kroger’s online store for their convenience. It lets them enjoy their groceries at home.
If you want to order online, follow the steps below.
- Install the Kroger mobile app or search “Kroger.com” on Google
- Add items to cart.
- Choose the delivery or pickup option when you’re done with shopping
- For payment, you can use your SNAP/EBT card or even a Credit or Debit card.
- Make sure you collect your EBT if you’re using your EBT card.
The Bottom Line
Kroger accepts a variety of payment methods both online and in-store; however, it does not accept Apple Pay.
- When shopping at Kroger, you can use alternative contactless payment options such as SNAP/EBT cards, Kroger pay, and Scan, Bag, Go technology.
Kroger Pay is quick, secure, and employs a QR code to link payment information to a customer’s loyalty account without using NFC technology as used in Apple Pay.
Frequently Asked Questions
Does Qdoba accept Apple Pay?
Unfortunately, this fast-growing Mexican food chain does not accept Apple Pay yet. Although it does offer alternate contactless payment options like MasterCard, VISA, American Express, and Discover.
Which restaurants accept Apple Pay?
Several grocery stores and restaurants accept Apple Pay few of which are listed below:
- Dollar General Store
- Duane Reade
- Whole Foods etc.
Does Home Depot take Apple Pay?
Apple pay is not offered at Home Depot. It is a pity because Apple Pay is a secure, convenient, and straightforward payment option. Since most customers are demanding Apple Pay as a payment option, there is a chance Home Depot might introduce it.
Jamie Johnson is very enthusiastic Kansas City – based freelance writer, and her core expertise are finance and insurance. She has been endorsed on several personal finance, insurance & business website to share her thoughts. Her publications can be found on famous sites like Bankrate, The Balance, Business Insider, Chamber of Commerce and many others.
From many years, she served more than 10,000 hours of research and writing to more than 2000 articles related to personal finance, credit building, mortgages, and personal and student loans.