Out of 96% of mobile users in America 55% use iPhone and hence prefer to pay through Apple Pay at over 2 million stores in the United States. That brings us to the question: does Walmart take Apple Pay like a number of other grocery stores?
What Will We Talk About Here?
1. Walmart does not accept Apple Pay but it lets you pay via other contactless payment alternatives.
2. Instead, you can use Walmart Pay by Apple Store> Install Walmart Pay App> Make an account > Link your debit or credit card with it > Scan the QR > Pay.
3. Apple Pay users can add Ibotta extension to complete payments at Walmart.
…and Much More!
Does Walmart Take Apple Pay?
As of 2021, Walmart does not accept Apple Pay in any of its shops. Customers may instead try using Walmart Pay to make purchases at the register and self-checkout lanes using their iPhones.
- Other than that, Walmart takes MasterCard, Visa, Checks, PayPal, Amex, and cash as payment methods.
We discovered several intriguing reasons why Walmart does not support Apple Pay.
It was due to their ties to a firm known as Merchant Customer Exchange, or MCX. The firm (MCX) exclusively accepts CurrentC payment options that employ QR codes.
- Walmart, like Google Pay and Samsung Pay, does not employ MXC because it is a direct rival of Apple Pay.
Another reason Walmart refuses to implement Apple Pay is that they are unable to collect any information from customers when they make a transaction.
This information is extremely significant since it allows Walmart to offer customers who use the Walmart Pay app personalized recommendations and notifications.
You might be interested in reading: Does Marshalls Take Apple Pay?
Walmart Pay – Alternative To Apple Pay at Walmart
If you’re an iPhone user who still wants to pay for items at Walmart quickly and easily with your phone, you’re in luck!
- Do so by downloading the Walmart Pay app to your iPhone, register for a free account, then link your debit/credit card to the Walmart Pay app.
Simply scan the QR code once the final amount appears. Then you can use the Walmart Pay app.
The payment will go through immediately, just like Apple Pay!
Note! While Walmart Pay isn’t as smooth, it’s still a good alternative for customers who want to pay without having to carry around a wallet.
Download and Use Walmart Pay – Step by Step Guide
If you don’t already have the Walmart app, take these steps to get started!
- Go to the Apple App Store and search for Walmart Pay.
- Choose the Walmart Pay App and install it.
- Open the app and go to the Services panel once it’s been downloaded.
- Toggle to Walmart Pay.
- Create a Walmart Pay account.
- Register whichever card or cards you wish to use for purchases at Walmart.
- Scan the QR code.
- Confirm payment via Walmart App.
You might be interested in reading: Walmart to Walmart Money Transfer
An Indirect Method To Use Apple Pay at Walmart
You can do so if you add the ibotta app as an extension. To utilize ibotta effectively, all you have to do is:
- Install the ibotta app.
- Add the ibotta extension on your phone.
- Then, while paying make use of the ibotta app at the store or the extension on your computer at home, select Apple Pay.
- Ibotta is a cashback rewards eCorp that offers up to 2% cashback on every transaction.
However, it is only valid for a limited number of products and in a limited number of retailers.
Which Stores Take Apple Pay?
7-Eleven and CVS, for example, now accept Apple Pay at checkout. They were first opposed to the app, but recently caved in. Other retail stores that accept Apple Pay include:
- Acme Markets
- Food Maxx
- Save Mart
- Shop N Save
- Super Value
- Whole Foods Market
- Winn Dixie
The Bottom Line
Walmart does not accept Apple Pay.
However, as we discussed in this guide there are a number of ways you can make payments here like Walmart Pay App itself or adding ibotta as an extension. Happy Shopping!
Frequently Asked Questions About Apple Pay at Walmart
How do I pay with my iPhone at Walmart?
Open Walmart pay on your iPhone. Enter your passcode or use Touch ID. Your selected payment option will be shown at the bottom of the screen. Unless you turn off this function, if you have a gift card, the money on it will be used first for payment.
Can you get cash back when you use Apple Pay?
When you use an Apple Card and Apple Pay to make purchases, you may earn daily cash back on every transaction. On some purchases, you can get up to 3% cash back, and on all other transactions, you can get 2% cash back.
Does Apple Pay charge a fee?
No, there are no costs associated with using Apple Pay in shops, online, or in applications.