Cash App supports linking to any bank in the US or debit and credit card. It is also possible to transfer funds to Cash from various other applications such as PayPal, Venmo, or Zelle. However, can you add a gift card to Cash App is a question the answer to which may be a little disappointing for loyal Cash App users.
- You can not add a gift card to Cash App as it only support bank account, credit cards and debit cards from American Express, Visa, Mastercard, or Discover.
- Alternatively, you can send the funds from gift card to Cash App by Open CardCash > Merchant name > Amount of gift card balance > Get offer > Get $ cash > PayPal express > Gift card number and PIN > Get PayPal balance > Send to Bank > Send to Cash App.
- Not all gift cards are reloadable as some of them expire when you have used up the available balance.
…and Much More!
Can You Add a Gift Card To Cash App?
At the time of this writing, Cash app does not support adding any type of gift cards. So any type of prepaid card that you have just bought from the store, Visa gift cards, or gift cards from any other parent company can be added to Cash App account.
- The only exceptions are certain type of Government-Enabled Prepaid Cards.
Moreover, you can also not add an e-Gift Card to Cash App or move balance to your account directly. The app only works with linked bank accounts, debit cards, or credit cards. In fact, only debit cards from Visa, American Express, Discover, or Mastercard are accepted.
You might be interested in reading: Cash App Canada.
Add Gift Card To Cash App
There is no denying that technology is advancing pretty quickly and with cashless payments, the use of gift cards is becoming quite popular too. Therefore, we can not fully dismiss the idea that may be in the future, you can use gift cards on Cash App. If the option becomes available in the future, here’s how you would add gift card to Cash App.
- Open your Cash App account by providing the correct credentials.
- Then click on My Cash option towards the lower left side of the screen.
- Tap on Add a Credit Card and then provide your gift card information as per requirement.
- Confirm the action by clicking on Add Card.
- Wait for the app to verify the data and you are done!
You might be interested in reading: Cash App Card Designs.
Method To Transfer Money From Gift Card to Cash App
Although you can not directly link Cash App gift card, you can utilize the funds on your card through the app using an indirect methods. Here’s what you need to do.
- Visit CardCash official website through your interest browser.
- On the main page, provide the merchant’s name and the amount of gift card balance that you want to transfer.
- Tap on Get Offer and see if any eligible offers are provided.
- The screen will then display the balance that will be sent to your account after considering exchange rates.
- If you agree, tap on the button that states Get $ Cash.
- From the window that opens, click on PayPal Express. This would be selected as the payment method and then you can proceed.
- Then provide your gift card number and the PIN. Wait for the app to verify your information.
- Tap on Get My PayPal Balance.
Wait. Didn’t you just end up sending your balance to PayPal instead? Well, that is because you can not make a direct transfer to your Cash App account. However, now that you have the requested money on your PayPal, you can send it from PayPal account to bank account and then transfer the funds from bank account to Cash App easily.
You might be interested in reading: Relia Card to Cash App.
How To Send Money From Visa Gift Card To Cash App
Similar to the transfer that we have discussed above, Visa gift card is not supported by Cash App and therefore, you can not use it to send money directly to your account. However, it is possible to send money from Visa gift card to PayPal and then move the funds to Cash App using bank as an intermediate.
- Open PayPal account by providing the correct credentials.
- Then add gift card number to PayPal account by tapping on Add Money From Card.
- Wait for the funds to reflect on your PayPal account.
- After that, click on Transfer Funds in Balance tab on PayPal.
- Now choose to Transfer to bank but keep in mind that your bank must be linked to Cash App for this method to be successful.
- Select Instant option and then choose Next.
- Provide the amount of money that you want to move.
- Recheck the information that you have provided and click Done.
Can You Add Prepaid Card to Cash App?
Similar to Visa gift cards, Cash App does not support prepaid cards and you can not make payments through the app using such cards. In contrast, prepaid cards do work with PayPal or apps like Venmo but currently, Cash App has no plans of launching such feature.
With that being said, you can transfer funds from prepaid cards to Cash App through automated clearing house transfers using account number and routing number.
Gift Cards – What You Need To Know
Gift cards are prepaid cards where you get a set amount of balance or you can load funds on to it and use them at specific stores for purchases. They have become quite popular as many offer them as gifts to their friends or relatives on special occasions.
- Not all gift cards are reloadable. Some of these come with specific balance and expire once you have used up the balance.
In addition to physical gift cards, some stores provide e-gift cards as well. You can use these online similar to how plastic cards would work.
Regardless of whether you are using a plastic gift card or an e-card, most of them come with personal identification number. You have to provide this passcode at the time of purchases for the transfer to be successful.
Alternatives To Adding a Gift Card To Cash App
You don’t need to let your Visa gift card balance go to waste simple because you are not able to add it to Cash App. There are other convenient methods to make use of this balance. For example, you can use it to buy Amazon e-gift card.
These gift cards can be redeemed on Amazon.com and you can make purchases here from a range of categories and products.
Alternatively, you can check with the online merchants if they allow splitting payments. In this manner, you can provide the gift card to cater to the balance that it has and complete rest of the bill with cash or other payment methods.
Other Ways to Add Money To Cash App
Although you can not have Cash App gift card, there are multiple ways in which you can fund your account otherwise. Some of these do not incur any additional charges while others may cost you some dollars.
- Send Money From Your Bank Account
You just have to click and open the Banking tab and tap on Add Cash. After that, you need to provide the amount that you want to transfer and click the green button to proceed. Confirm with the PIN and you are done!
- Add Funds From Credit Card
If you have a credit card in your wallet then it is one of the quickest ways to add money to Cash App. However, keep in mind, that this type of transfer will cost you 3% as compared to bank transfer which is free of charges.
- Request Other Cash App Users to Send You Money
You can request your friends or relatives who are also Cash App users to transfer you money and in exchange, share cash with them. In this way, you can get money off Cash App without card or bank account.
- Deposit a Check
The last option is to deposit a check but this will incur processing charges. You also have to sign at the back of the check and provide identification documents like a picture before the transfer can be processed. Cash App accepts both, cashier’s checks as well as regular checks.
Send Money From Your Cash App Account To Others
Sending money to other Cash App users or to a linked bank account is a piece of cake via this app. First, let’s see how you can send funds from your Cash App account to others.
- Open your account and click on $ symbol.
- Then provide the funds that you want to send to the other account.
- Choose Pay and then select the recipient through phone number, $Cashtag or email address. You can also add a note if needed.
- Click Pay again to initiate the transaction.
Easy, right? Now you can use a similar approach to transfer the funds from your Cash App account to bank account. Here’s how that works.
- Click on Banking Tab and then choose Balance.
- Press Cash Out button and provide the amount of money that you want to share.
- Select Cash out and the transfer would begin.
You might be interested in reading: Can You Overdraft Cash App?
The Bottom Line
As it turns out, regardless of rewards schemes and perks that it offers, Cash App currently does not support gift cards and the authorities have not announced any such change taking place in the near future. The only kind of cards that you can add here include credit cards and debit cards provided by Visa, Mastercard, Discover, or American Express.
- Moreover, ATM card or business debit cards are also not accepted here.
If you had planned to use the gift card to fund your Cash App account, you would be relieved to know that there are alternative methods, as listed above, to get the done.
Frequently Asked Questions
How can i add Visa gift card to Cash App?
Cash App does not support any types of gift cards so it will not be possible to add Visa gift card to your Cash App account. However, you can transfer the funds from Visa card to Cash app using a third party platform such as CardCash.
Can I convert gift cards to cash?
The most efficient way to use a gift card is to employ it for making payments at the particular store. However, if need be, you can exchange the card for cash at certain online platforms or trade it in at a Kiosk. Another way to covert gift card to cash is by selling it to a friend.
Can I put my gift card into bank account?
Yes. Users can transfer the money on the Visa gift card to bank account but the exact method to do so would depend on your prepaid card that you have.
Is there a Cash App gift card?
Currently, Cash App does not offer any gift cards. Therefore, do not be fooled by scammers who promise to deliver any.